The purpose of an Asbestos Survey
- help manage asbestos in your premises.
- to provide accurate information on the location, amount and condition of asbestos containing materials (ACM’s)
- to assess the level of damage or deterioration in the ACM’s and whether remedial action is required.
- to use the survey information to prepare a record of the location of any asbestos, commonly called an Asbestos Register, and an asbestos plan of the building(s).
- to help identify all the ACM’s to be removed before refurbishment work or demolition.
ACM’s may be present in any building if it was constructed or refurbished before 2000. Asbestos was prohibited in 1999. You need to do all that you reasonably can to identify asbestos materials within your building(s).
You must select competent surveyors
Surveys can be carried out by in-house personnel of a third party but in each case, the surveyor must be competent to carry out the work required. To be competent, the ‘surveyor’ must:
- have sufficient training, qualifications, knowledge, experience and ability to carry out their duties in relation to the survey and to recognise their limitations;
- have sufficient knowledge of the specific tasks to be undertaken and the risks which the work will entail;
- be able to demonstrate independence, impartiality and integrity;
- have an adequate quality management system; and
- carry out the survey in accordance with recommended guidance.
HSE strongly recommends the use of accredited or certificated surveyors for asbestos surveys. The dutyholder should not appoint or instruct an independent surveyor to carry out a survey unless the surveyor is competent.
Why choose 2m Asbestos?
- Our quality management system is ISO 9001 Certified via ACS Registrars Ltd.
- We are members of Constructionline.
- We are accredited by Acclaim Accreditation for Health & Safety and satisfy the Safety Schemes in Procurement (SSIP) requirements.
- All our Surveyors hold BOHS P402 – Bulk Sampling & Surveying qualifications and have at least 10 years surveying experience.
- Our Quality Manager is a BOHS S301 Certified Competent Person. He is a Member of the British Occupational Hygiene Society. He also has a First Class Degree in Applied Chemistry, is a Chartered Chemist & a Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- In addition to our quality management system, we also have the 2M Online Database which is currently the only online database in the UK to have ISO 9001 Accreditation.
There are 2 types of Asbestos Survey; Management or Refurbishment/ Demolition. Click here to learn more
When is an Asbestos Survey required and who is responsible for it’s request? Click here to learn more